Filadelfia and its surroundings
Filadelfia is distinguished by its geographical position, in the surroundings of Angitola lake, in a hill nearby Tyrrhenian Sea, surrounded by mountains abundant of plants and water sources.
Before 1783 earthquake its name was Castelmonardo. The earthquake tore it down completely. Reconstruction was realized with an illuminist town planning project highly qualified for the period, grid-like, according to a global quadrangular vision. Nowadays it is still considered a famous example of '700 aesthetic-philosophical ideas. The centre is distinguished by Monsignore Serrao square, with four churches at its corners: Santa Barbara, Madonna del Carmelo, San Teodoro and San Francesco (which holds an important statue of the Saint). The four churches also give names to four town's districts. Read Filadelfia history on